IOERROR: opening index

Andy Kopciuch akopciuch at bddf.ca
Fri Dec 11 12:26:58 CET 2015

You seem to have somehow managed to create a folder with a forward slash '/'
in it's name.   Which should be an invalid character, and the mailbox (folder)
should never have been created.  Regardless of how it was done / allowed, that
is the problem.

> Dec 10 11:16:27 backend001 cyrus-imapd/cyr_expire[18570]: IOERROR:
> opening index testdomain.de!DELETED.user.ma^klein.MM_002 -
> 1446630315^06.565FDED9: System I/O error

Notice what it is looking for is :

"MM_002 - 1446630315^06.565FDED9"

The caret is used to replace the period '.' on disk.

> root at backend001 [1] user # kolab lm | grep -E "ma.klein"
> DELETED/user/ma.klein/MM_002 - 1446630315.06/565FDED9 at testdomain.de

The actual mailbox name is :

"MM_002 - 1446630315.06/565FDED9"

> root at backend001 [0] user # ll
> /app/kolabdata/spool/default/domain/m/testdomain.de/u/DELETED/user/ma^klein/
> total 4
> drwx------ 3 cyrus mail 4096 Dec 4 10:09 MM_002 - 1446630315^06
>
> root at backend001 [0] user # ll
> /app/kolabdata/spool/default/domain/m/testdomain.de/u/DELETED/user/ma\^klein
> /MM_002\ -\ 1446630315\^06/
> total 4
> drwx------ 2 cyrus mail 4096 Dec 4 10:09 565FDED9

You can see from what is on disk that the path was created up until the
forward slash, and the remaining part of the folder name became a separate
subfolder (because of the slash).

- MM_002 - 1446630315^06/
-.....565FDED9/
-............cyrus.index
-............cyrus.DELETED
-............individual emails, etc.

I don't have a series of instructions or anything I could provide to fix this.
I think this is pretty messy though.   You somehow need move that subfolder up
1 level on disk (because it has the actual cyrus.* files in it), and name it
something properly allowed as a valid IMAP folder name, and also somehow fix
the mailbox list to the same name.

I'm not sure if you can rename a deleted folder in cyradm, or if it will even
allow you to rename it while it is in this "broken" state.   It can't move a
folder on disk it can not find.  Not sure what will happen if you try

Hope that helps get you closer to a solution.

Andy