Dear Wallace: where's my mail?

Nick Wiltshire nick at customdesigns.ca
Mon Sep 1 01:30:27 CEST 2014

I wrote to list earlier today regarding mail not showing up in my inbox.
Ironically, I didn't see any replies because of the same issue.

I have since figured out that wallace was eating my mail. The new 3.3 Postfix
config has mail delivered to wallaced on port 10026. This was happening.

Wallace is supposed to then re-inject mail back to  postfix on port 10027. It
was not. Still isn't. So while I can now receive mail by bypassing wallace, I
likely have mail stuck in a wallace queue somewhere (or perhaps it is gone?)

Since this daemon seems to be the worst documented piece of software in the
history of man kind, can someone give me a hint of where to start looking? Or
is all that mail just gone?

The sum of documentation for wallace on the entire internet seems to be this:

"Wallace is a modular daemon responsible for filtering the content passing
through it as part of the mail flow between recipients and senders.

While it does not perform anti-spam and anti-virus content filtering, for which
Kolab Groupware uses Amavisd, SpamAssassin and ClamAV, mail submitted through
Wallace is handled with specific use-cases for particular mail flows in mind."

So I know what it doesn't do, and have a vague idea that it does something.
I'm guessing it's not supposed to eat my mail.