Dear Wallace: where's my mail?

Nick Wiltshire nick at customdesigns.ca
Mon Sep 1 03:59:39 CEST 2014

On August 31, 2014 17:30:27 Nick Wiltshire wrote:
> I wrote to list earlier today regarding mail not showing up in my inbox.
> Ironically, I didn't see any replies because of the same issue.
>
> I have since figured out that wallace was eating my mail. The new 3.3
> Postfix config has mail delivered to wallaced on port 10026. This was
> happening.
>
> Wallace is supposed to then re-inject mail back to  postfix on port 10027.
> It was not. Still isn't. So while I can now receive mail by bypassing
> wallace, I likely have mail stuck in a wallace queue somewhere (or perhaps
> it is gone?)
>
> Since this daemon seems to be the worst documented piece of software in the
> history of man kind, can someone give me a hint of where to start looking?
> Or is all that mail just gone?
>
> The sum of documentation for wallace on the entire internet seems to be
> this:
>
> "Wallace is a modular daemon responsible for filtering the content passing
> through it as part of the mail flow between recipients and senders.
>
> While it does not perform anti-spam and anti-virus content filtering, for
> which Kolab Groupware uses Amavisd, SpamAssassin and ClamAV, mail submitted
> through Wallace is handled with specific use-cases for particular mail
> flows in mind."
>
> So I know what it doesn't do, and have a vague idea that it does something.
> I'm guessing it's not supposed to eat my mail.

Some progress. I found some errors in pykolab.log and corrected them. That
caused some messages to go through. There are still some errors I am unable to
figure out.

Firstly:

pykolab.conf WARNING Option kolab/domain_sync_interval does not exist in config
file /etc/kolab/kolab.conf, pulling from defaults

Yet, here's my config:

[kolab]
imap_backend = cyrus-imap
auth_mechanism = ldap
primary_domain = customdesigns.ca
default_locale = en_US
sync_interval = 300
domain_sync_interval = 600

Then there's this:

2014-08-31 19:45:43,569 pykolab.wallace ERROR Module resources.execute()
failed on message '/var/spool/pykolab/wallace/resources/incoming/tmpy6zUa0'
with error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wallace/__init__.py", line 67, in
pickup_message
    result_filepath = modules.execute(module, filepath)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wallace/modules.py", line 116, in
execute
    return modules[name]['function'](*args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wallace/module_resources.py", line
163, in execute
    recipients = [address for displayname,address in
getaddresses(message.get_all('X-Kolab-To'))]
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/email/utils.py", line 105, in getaddresses
    all = COMMASPACE.join(fieldvalues)
TypeError

Any help is appreciated!