Issues connecting clients

Aeneas Jaißle aj at ajaissle.de
Tue Feb 11 17:32:45 CET 2014

Am Dienstag, 11. Februar 2014, 15:03:04 schrieb Andrew Wafaa:
> On 11-02-2014 14:05, Aeneas Jaißle wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 11. Februar 2014, 12:52:54 schrieb Andrew Wafaa:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm running 3.1 on openSUSE and mostly things work - chawala being the
> >> only failure, or so I thought. I have tried connecting clients to my
> >> server and all have failed to actually pul any mail down. Roundcube
> >> works fine.
> >>
> >> I've tried with multiple clients on multiple OSes - Linux, Android and
> >> OSX. I've checked the logs and see no errors, and wonder if there is a
> >> config option that I'm missing. Any clues?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Andy
> >
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > can you clarify when the connection fails?
> > 1) network connection
> > 2) authentication
> > 3) post-authentication
>
> Sorry for the omission. The failure happens post-authentication. So the
> client "connects" to the server, but is unable to display any email or
> folder.
>
> > * What repositories are you using?
>
> I'm using the Kolab:Unstable and Kolab:Extras repositroies on OBS.
>
> > * How did you install and configure Kolab?
>
> I originally installed Kolab 3.0 from the repositories that you
> maintain, and everything worked fine then (clients could connect no
> problem). I then replaced Kolab:Stable with Unstable and did a zypper
> dup, I forget exactly what I ran after upgrading - re-ran a couple of
> the config commands but I forget exactly which ones.
>
> > * Can your clients resolve your servers' FQDN and actually reach the
> > server
> > (via ping)?
>
> Yes, they resolve and connect fine, just don't display anything.
>
> > * IMAP, SMTP and HTTP ports are opened on the firewall?
>
> Yes the required ports have been verified to be open.
>
> > Some checks you could perform:
> > * 'telnet your.mailserver.org imap' works and you're getting a
> > CAPABILITY
> > response?
> > * STARTTLS is working (assuming you are using TLS connections)?
> >
> >   E.g.: 'openssl s_client -host my.mailhost.org -port 143 -starttls
> >
> > imap
>
> I'll test this later today, but I have a feeling they will work, as I
> mentioned I can connect my clients to the server, it's just that they
> don't actually display any content.
>
> > * Can you access https://your.mailhost.org/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync/
> > ?
>
> Yes
>
> Thanks very much for all your hard work,
> Andy

So your client connects to the server (no error here), but fails at
listing/subscribing/opening IMAP folders, right? Sending mails via SMTP works?

Let's take a look at the following:

* What cyrus-imapd and roundcubemail version are you using? For roundcubemail,
I had a git snapshot in Extras that was replaced with a beta some time ago
(and will be replaced with the RC in a few days).

The following is an example output of one of my 'Kolab upgrade' test machines:

# rpm -qa cyrus-imapd
cyrus-imapd-2.3.18_kolab-126.1.x86_64

# rpm -qa roundcubemail
roundcubemail-1.0.beta-41.1.noarch

# rpm -qa | grep kolab | sort
cyrus-imapd-2.3.18_kolab-126.1.x86_64
libkolab0-0.5.0-84.1.x86_64
libkolabxml0-0.8.5-45.1.x86_64                    # Leftover from upgrade
libkolabxml1-1.0.1-2.1.x86_64
kolab-3.0-3.1.noarch
kolab-cli-0.6.9-1.1.x86_64
kolab-conf-3.0-23.1.noarch
kolab-freebusy-1.0.2-2.1.noarch
kolab-imap-3.0-31.3.noarch
kolab-ldap-3.0-17.1.noarch
kolab-mta-3.0-52.1.noarch
kolab-saslauthd-0.6.9-1.1.x86_64
kolab-schema-3.0-25.1.noarch
kolab-scripts-0.5-20.1.noarch
kolab-server-0.6.9-1.1.x86_64
kolab-syncroton-2.2.3-1.1.noarch
kolab-utils-3.0.5-23.5.x86_64
kolab-webadmin-3.1.3-2.1.noarch
kolab-webclient-3.0-13.2.noarch
perl-Cyrus-IMAP-2.3.18_kolab-128.1.x86_64
perl-Cyrus-SIEVE-managesieve-2.3.18_kolab-128.1.x86_64
php-libkolab0-0.5.0-84.1.x86_64
php-libkolabxml0-0.8.5-45.1.x86_64
php-libkolabxml1-1.0.1-2.1.x86_64
postfix-kolab-0.6.9-1.1.x86_64
pykolab-0.6.9-1.1.x86_64
pykolab-xml-0.6.9-1.1.x86_64
python-libkolabxml0-0.8.5-45.1.x86_64
roundcubemail-plugins-kolab-3.1.7-2.1.noarch

* Are the mailboxes still there? (could be due to roundcube's imap and message
cache that mails are still present in the webmailer, but in reality they also
are not accessible anymore)
  kolab lm

* Lets check the ACLs:
  kolab lam 'user/my.username at mydomain.org'

-> lrswipkxtecda my.username at mydomain.org -> I'm the owner

* Do the clients open IMAP folders?
  journalctl -u cyrus.service | grep 'open: user my^username at mydomain.org'

If you cannot find any issue here, maybe you could try recreate your Cyrus
IMAP configuration. If you have not made any custom changes, just backup the
existing config (/etc/cyrus.conf, /etc/imapd.conf) and run

  kolab-setup imap

In case this solved the issue, a comparison of your old config with the newly
created one would bring the broken part up.

--
    ____
  /@    ~-.     Aeneas Jaißle