Issues connecting clients

Andrew Wafaa andrew at wafaa.eu
Wed Feb 12 09:40:03 CET 2014

On 11-02-2014 16:32, Aeneas Jaißle wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 11. Februar 2014, 15:03:04 schrieb Andrew Wafaa:

>> > Hi Andrew,
>> >
>> > can you clarify when the connection fails?
>> > 1) network connection
>> > 2) authentication
>> > 3) post-authentication
>>
>> Sorry for the omission. The failure happens post-authentication. So
>> the
>> client "connects" to the server, but is unable to display any email or
>> folder.
>>
>> > * What repositories are you using?
>>
>> I'm using the Kolab:Unstable and Kolab:Extras repositroies on OBS.
>>
>> > * How did you install and configure Kolab?
>>
>> I originally installed Kolab 3.0 from the repositories that you
>> maintain, and everything worked fine then (clients could connect no
>> problem). I then replaced Kolab:Stable with Unstable and did a zypper
>> dup, I forget exactly what I ran after upgrading - re-ran a couple of
>> the config commands but I forget exactly which ones.
>>
>> > * Can your clients resolve your servers' FQDN and actually reach the
>> > server
>> > (via ping)?
>>
>> Yes, they resolve and connect fine, just don't display anything.
>>
>> > * IMAP, SMTP and HTTP ports are opened on the firewall?
>>
>> Yes the required ports have been verified to be open.
>>
>> > Some checks you could perform:
>> > * 'telnet your.mailserver.org imap' works and you're getting a
>> > CAPABILITY
>> > response?

This works fine.

>> > * STARTTLS is working (assuming you are using TLS connections)?
>> >
>> >   E.g.: 'openssl s_client -host my.mailhost.org -port 143 -starttls
>> >
>> > imap

This also works fine.

>> I'll test this later today, but I have a feeling they will work, as I
>> mentioned I can connect my clients to the server, it's just that they
>> don't actually display any content.
>>
>> > * Can you access https://your.mailhost.org/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync/
>> > ?
>>
>> Yes
>>
>> Thanks very much for all your hard work,
>> Andy
>
> So your client connects to the server (no error here), but fails at
> listing/subscribing/opening IMAP folders, right? Sending mails via SMTP
> works?
>

> Let's take a look at the following:
>
> * What cyrus-imapd and roundcubemail version are you using? For
> roundcubemail,
> I had a git snapshot in Extras that was replaced with a beta some time
> ago
> (and will be replaced with the RC in a few days).
>
> The following is an example output of one of my 'Kolab upgrade' test
> machines:
>
> # rpm -qa cyrus-imapd
> cyrus-imapd-2.3.18_kolab-126.1.x86_64

cyrus-imapd-2.3.18_kolab-128.1.x86_64

> # rpm -qa roundcubemail
> roundcubemail-1.0.beta-41.1.noarch

roundcubemail-1.0.git6a9144-12.1.noarch

> # rpm -qa | grep kolab | sort
> cyrus-imapd-2.3.18_kolab-126.1.x86_64
> libkolab0-0.5.0-84.1.x86_64
> libkolabxml0-0.8.5-45.1.x86_64                    # Leftover from
> upgrade
> libkolabxml1-1.0.1-2.1.x86_64
> kolab-3.0-3.1.noarch
> kolab-cli-0.6.9-1.1.x86_64
> kolab-conf-3.0-23.1.noarch
> kolab-freebusy-1.0.2-2.1.noarch
> kolab-imap-3.0-31.3.noarch
> kolab-ldap-3.0-17.1.noarch
> kolab-mta-3.0-52.1.noarch
> kolab-saslauthd-0.6.9-1.1.x86_64
> kolab-schema-3.0-25.1.noarch
> kolab-scripts-0.5-20.1.noarch
> kolab-server-0.6.9-1.1.x86_64
> kolab-syncroton-2.2.3-1.1.noarch
> kolab-utils-3.0.5-23.5.x86_64
> kolab-webadmin-3.1.3-2.1.noarch
> kolab-webclient-3.0-13.2.noarch
> perl-Cyrus-IMAP-2.3.18_kolab-128.1.x86_64
> perl-Cyrus-SIEVE-managesieve-2.3.18_kolab-128.1.x86_64
> php-libkolab0-0.5.0-84.1.x86_64
> php-libkolabxml0-0.8.5-45.1.x86_64
> php-libkolabxml1-1.0.1-2.1.x86_64
> postfix-kolab-0.6.9-1.1.x86_64
> pykolab-0.6.9-1.1.x86_64
> pykolab-xml-0.6.9-1.1.x86_64
> python-libkolabxml0-0.8.5-45.1.x86_64
> roundcubemail-plugins-kolab-3.1.7-2.1.noarch
> cyrus-imapd-2.3.18_kolab-128.1.x86_64

java-libkolabxml1-1.0.1-3.1.x86_64
kolab-3.1-3.1.noarch
kolab-cli-0.6.9-6.1.x86_64
kolab-conf-3.1-3.1.noarch
kolab-freebusy-1.0.2-4.1.noarch
kolab-imap-3.1-3.1.noarch
kolab-ldap-3.1-3.1.noarch
kolab-mta-3.1-2.1.noarch
kolab-saslauthd-0.6.9-6.1.x86_64
kolab-schema-3.0-25.1.noarch
kolab-scripts-0.6-1.1.noarch
kolab-server-0.6.9-6.1.x86_64
kolab-syncroton-2.2.3-2.1.noarch
kolab-utils-3.0.5-24.2.x86_64
kolab-webadmin-3.1.3-3.1.noarch
kolab-webclient-3.1-2.1.noarch
libkolab0-0.5.0-99.1.x86_64
libkolabxml0-0.8.5-40.1.x86_64
libkolabxml1-1.0.1-3.1.x86_64
perl-Cyrus-IMAP-2.3.18_kolab-128.1.x86_64
perl-Cyrus-SIEVE-managesieve-2.3.18_kolab-128.1.x86_64
php-libkolab0-0.5.0-99.1.x86_64
php-libkolabxml0-0.8.5-40.1.x86_64
php-libkolabxml1-1.0.1-3.1.x86_64
postfix-kolab-0.6.9-6.1.x86_64
pykolab-0.6.9-6.1.x86_64
pykolab-telemetry-0.6.9-6.1.x86_64
pykolab-xml-0.6.9-6.1.x86_64
python-libkolab0-0.5.0-99.1.x86_64
python-libkolabxml0-0.8.5-40.1.x86_64
python-libkolabxml1-1.0.1-3.1.x86_64
roundcubemail-plugins-kolab-3.1.7-6.1.noarch

> * Are the mailboxes still there? (could be due to roundcube's imap and
> message
> cache that mails are still present in the webmailer, but in reality
> they also
> are not accessible anymore)
>   kolab lm
> Yes all mailboxes are shown

> * Lets check the ACLs:
>   kolab lam 'user/my.username at mydomain.org'
>
> -> lrswipkxtecda my.username at mydomain.org -> I'm the owner

lrswipkxtecda

> * Do the clients open IMAP folders?
>   journalctl -u cyrus.service | grep 'open: user
> my^username at mydomain.org'

That works

> If you cannot find any issue here, maybe you could try recreate your
> Cyrus
> IMAP configuration. If you have not made any custom changes, just
> backup the
> existing config (/etc/cyrus.conf, /etc/imapd.conf) and run
>
>   kolab-setup imap
>
> In case this solved the issue, a comparison of your old config with the
> newly
> created one would bring the broken part up.

Unfortunately this doesn't resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Andy