Kolab 3.3 / primary_mail

Stuart Naylor stuartiannaylor at inbox.com
Thu Aug 7 16:10:56 CEST 2014

Dunno if this is being me dumb. We have a primary email and that is the
only one that has a mailbox and auth.
aliases/secondarymails are just that and I thought mainly they would be
used for info@ or sales@ or maybe another domain.
They are just aliases so we can have a single inbox but have no other use.

I was quite confused with Kolab in 3.2 when I got 3 variations of name
with each user add. Just didn't make sense also with naming conventions
and a lot of common names I can see this getting messy.
I was confused because by default giving aliases of the same name
variations didn't make any sense to me?

I am glad you posted but saddened by the results.
"admin_auto_fields_rw = true" I know users and they are picky about uids
and email addresses especially bosses.
So being able to set the email addresses and uid manually is very
important to me.

So I am hoping the answer is "admin_auto_fields_rw = true" and this is
just a bug.

Stuart

On 07/08/2014 13:07, Tobias Geiger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> yesterday is tried out kolab 3.3 and had strange behaviour regarding
> "primary_mail" in kolab.conf;
> My goal is to have a freely editable field for "primary_mail", because
> i try to migrate from a setup where it does not conform
> name.lastname at domain convention.
>
> First i thought a "secondary email" to the original is enough, but
> then i saw that cyrus imap login is not possible with these secondary
> email adresses - only with the primary one.
>
> So i set "primary_mail" to an empty string in kolab.conf and
> "admin_auto_fields_rw = true" - which enabled a freely editable
> "primary mail" field in webadmin. so far so good, but somehow these
> values dont last, after a reboot (or after some time, i guess when
> some kolab timer kicks in) the primary_mail field in ldap is empty and
> the cyrus mailbox is moved into nirvana ...
>
> This is a desaster and i'm glad i didn't migrate my real mailboxes yet ;)
>
> so - whats the right way to either get cyrus to auth also
> aliases/secondarymails or to get a freely editable primary_mail field
> in kolab 3.3 ?
>
> Thanks & Greetings
> Tobias

---