cyrus-imapd.deb: formal Version 2.4.17, in real it is 2.4.3

Michael kolab983 at der-he.de
Wed Nov 6 13:28:54 CET 2013

Hi list,
dear Paul.

I'm using Kolab 3 and debian wheezy via packages from:
http://mirror.kolabsys.com/pub/debian/kolab-3.0/dists/wheezy/release/source/Sources.gz

It's basically working fine, but I'm affected by some bugs which are present in cyrus-imapd 2.4.3 but are solved in the official cyrus-imapd version 2.4.17 [1].

Why are you using upstream sources version 2.4.17 and are patching those back to 2.4.3 in the debian package?

I don't know why this is the case. Do newer versions not harmony with kolab? I looked inside the rpm sources and it seems to me they are using 2.4.17 in the end, without patching it down to 2.4.3. And - as far as I can see - Univention is even using the official cyrus-imapd from debian?

I would like to try out using newer cyrus versions. Will this be wasted time because there is some deep reason in using 2.4.3 or should I try it out?

Btw. I'm using the source packages because it's a small ARM embedded board here running kolab. If there are official or inoffical ARM binary packages, please tell me. I'm using my own deb repository (reprepo): If anyone is interested in my packages, please tell me. I can put them online and send you the apt-sources lines.

Regards
Michael

[1] one of the bugs is not listing non-private imap folders (namespace) with 'LIST "" "%"', which renders those shared folders unusable with claws-mail. there are others.

--
* ...steckt mehr drin, als man denkt : http://der-he.de/ *