Kolab 3 user auth with external openLDAP server

Mihai Badici mihai at badici.ro
Thu Jun 27 16:28:57 CEST 2013

> Agree, it is possible to reverse engineer the Kolab extensions for
> 398DS and implement them in the openLDAP structure.  However, the
> changes within the Kolab code may be non trivial.
>
> I was hoping there would be some documentation on how to connect Kolab
> to an external DS.   Alternately, as a work around have Kolab's DS
> copy the user info from an external DS.

In fact, what will not work will be the kolab-webadmin.

You can modify /etc/postfix/ldap/...conf files, /etc/imapd.conf and you will
have an working mail server. Adding the kolab.schema is not a "must" I think
but it could help.
I suppose you have an management console for openLDAP, so basicaly you don't
need kolab-webadmin. I think there are some tasks difficult to perform without
kolab-webadmin but it depends the feature you need.

--
Mihai Badici
http://mihai.badici.ro