Kolab 3 user auth with external openLDAP server

Bruce Marriner bruce+kolab at bmts.us
Thu Jun 27 17:00:43 CEST 2013

> Agree, it is possible to reverse engineer the Kolab extensions for
> 398DS and implement them in the openLDAP structure.  However, the
> changes within the Kolab code may be non trivial.
>
> I was hoping there would be some documentation on how to connect Kolab
> to an external DS.   Alternately, as a work around have Kolab's DS
> copy the user info from an external DS.

There is no documentation that I know of anywhere.  But I don't think it's really a reverse engineering job as much as just looking at all the places the ldap config settings are and adjusting them to point at an openldap server.  Then applying the kolab schema to the openldap server.  I just haven't gone though and checked all the places and tried it out yet.

> > Arun Khan, if you do find any information about this I would greatly appreciate you relaying it to me.  I'll gladly help test and even > write detailed CentOS documentation on it :)
>
> I liked the look-n-feel of Kolab but not being able to connect to an
> external DS is a show stopper.

For my business I'm in the same spot.  I really love a lot of things about Kolab but I wish it was easier to intergrate it into different environments.

> I am evaluating Citadel and SoGo.  Citadel installation provides an
> option for external LDAP connection and it can be completed through
> it's WebUI.  SoGo also has documentation to connect to an external
> openLDAP server (I have yet to try it though).

For what it's worth, I have a SOGo install up and running using OpenLDAP/Dovecot/Postfix/PostgreSQL for my business (Until I can get enough time to convert to Kolab :) ) and it works just fine.  It's not nearly as nice looking as Kolab and the web interface has a few odd glitches.  It also handles sieve scripts rather weirdly.  It has pretty poor activesync support but the CalDAV/CardDAV is very functional.  The SOGo web interface is also a compiled program and would be a lot harder to make small changes to then Kolab since it uses a PHP (Roundcube) interface that is pretty easily modified.

I'm sure documentation for using openldap will show up eventually but it's probably going to take some of us users to get it done because it's not (as far as I know) a big priority for the Kolab team that's working on adding functionallity features to what they already have working.