Kolab 3 user auth with external openLDAP server

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 16:13:13 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Bruce Marriner <bruce+kolab at bmts.us> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 06:29 AM CDT, Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have an installed base of openLDAP+Samba3 (NT Domain) in production.
>>  I am using this setup for user auth on Linux and Windows workstations
>> as well as applications like MantisBT.
>>
>> Kolab 3 does look very attractive and I have done a quick eval on a
>> CentOS 6 base.   It's own bundled 389DS is the LDAP backend.  I did
>> not see any choice, for an external LDAP server, during the setup.
>>
>> However, in the Kolab 3 announcement
>> <http://www.kolab.org/news/2013/03/19/final-version-kolab-3.0-released>
>>  there is mention of support for openLDAP.
>>
>> I have looked around for docs/FAQs/tutorials on how to integrate Kolab
>> 3.0 with an external openLDAP server for user auth.  I have not found
>> anything so far.
>>
>> Is it possible to integrate Kolab 3 with an external openLDAP server?
>>

> I'm also -highly- interested in using openldap instead of 389ds.  I've read a bit here and there that gives me the impression that
>it may be possible but there's no guide or any other detailed information that I have been able to find.  I hoping to find time to
>closely examine the 389ds setup process and see if I can replicate the actions with an openldap server but I haven't had time to
>do that yet :(

Agree, it is possible to reverse engineer the Kolab extensions for
398DS and implement them in the openLDAP structure.  However, the
changes within the Kolab code may be non trivial.

I was hoping there would be some documentation on how to connect Kolab
to an external DS.   Alternately, as a work around have Kolab's DS
copy the user info from an external DS.

> Arun Khan, if you do find any information about this I would greatly appreciate you relaying it to me.  I'll gladly help test and even > write detailed CentOS documentation on it :)

I liked the look-n-feel of Kolab but not being able to connect to an
external DS is a show stopper.

I am evaluating Citadel and SoGo.  Citadel installation provides an
option for external LDAP connection and it can be completed through
it's WebUI.  SoGo also has documentation to connect to an external
openLDAP server (I have yet to try it though).

--
Arun Khan
Sent from my non-iphone/non-android device