need advice about lost emails

Liutauras Adomaitis liutauras.adomaitis at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 22:37:21 CEST 2011

Guys,

Few days ago we had a problem - virtual machine dedicated for kolab
was running on 100% CPU usage for several hours. I don't know what was
going on, but we have lost several emails.
This is what I saw in the logs:

Jun 08 19:26:34 server <info> postfix/pipe[18588]: 59A2CD35B:
to=<email>, relay=kolabmailboxfilter, delay=1000,
delays=0.07/0/0/1000, dsn=5.3.0, status=bounced (Command time limit
exceeded: "/kolab/bin/php")

Jun 08 17:51:15 server <info> postfix/pipe[9512]: 94F60D35A:
to=<email>, relay=kolabmailboxfilter, delay=260,
delays=0.07/0.01/0/260, dsn=5.3.0, status=bounced (Command died with
signal 9: "/kolab/bin/php")

I'm not very confident in reading postfix logs, especially kolab
postfix, however I understand that postfix recieved email from
internal sender to internal recipient and delivery to
kolabmailboxfilter failed. Postfix tried to generate NDR, but it tried
to use kolabmailboxfilter as well and NDR failed. So basically  just
vanished.

I understand that there is minimum info about it but maybe somebody
has ideas how to make sure that NDRs are delivered? I don't bother
about root cause of the problem since it is a bit too late, but I got
too much noice about lost emails so I want make sure NDR are generated
and delivered in all cases.

Thanks for your hints

Liutauras