AW: sender rejected

Christian Tardif christian.tardif at servinfo.ca
Fri Apr 30 20:51:33 CEST 2010

On 30/04/10 02:29 PM, skipmorse at gmail.com wrote:
> Sounds like you probably know more about how this stuff works than I,
> but I was under the impression that, by default, the server will only
> ACCEPT mail with the TO being for any of the domains in the 'domains'
> section of the web-admin...
>
> And, it would seem to be default that you can't authenticate as
> user1 at domain.com and send mail saying you're user2 at domain.com... But,
> I really don't know how it works to send mail as if it's from
> user1 at domain2.com...
>
> We don't use that in our setup, I just have an alias for each user for
> domain2.com, maybe I don't need to have that?

In fact, I never saw someone who really need to send mail in behalf of a
alias. I'm not really sure what would be the point. But one may need it.
In this case, the easiest way to do that if to use the Reply-To header.
You then can send mail from user at domain.com, and ask the user to reply
to user at domain2.com. And you won't break anything. You're allowed to do
that without any special config.

So yes, the alias thing should be more than enough for most cases. And
the Reply-To header is available to solve some other minor "problems".

--
Christian...