Kolab 2.2 on Ubuntu 8.04

Allen S. Rout asr at routhouse.org
Fri Aug 29 05:05:10 CEST 2008

I refer to the bootstrap problem mentioned in

http://www.kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-users/2008-June/008260.html

I installed the kolab packages on my new ubuntu box, and encountered the
same "Can't start temporary LDAP" problem.

It appears to be a bunch of incompatibilities with the LDAP versions now
being installed.

Aug 29 02:57:23 mail slapd[12727]: /etc/ldap/slapd.conf: line 28:
<replica-pidfile> keyword is obsolete (ignored)
Aug 29 02:57:23 mail slapd[12727]: /etc/ldap/slapd.conf: line 30:
<replogfile> keyword is obsolete (ignored)
Aug 29 02:57:23 mail slapd[12727]: /etc/ldap/slapd.conf: line 31:
<replicationinterval> keyword is obsolete (ignored)

are aggravating but not relevant to the failure to start.

The killer is the comment after the idletimeout:

line 53 (idletimeout     80 #  The value can be increased if some
clients develop problems.        # Please report to
kolab-devel at kolab.org if you encounter such a client.)
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf: line 53: <idletimeout> extra cruft after <timeout>.

That's with a slapd [ all the options you used in kolab_bootstrap ] -d -1

 From the slapd.conf manpage:

 > Blank lines and comment lines beginning with a `#' character are
 > ignored.  Note: continuation lines  are
 > unwrapped before comment processing is applied.

Comments are documented to be lines with '#' at the beginning, only.

Since you had whitespace at the beginning of the second line, it was
appended to the idletimeout line before it evaluated the line;  that's
why the second line is tossed in there too.    leading-whitespace is a
kind of retroactive continuation character, it seems.

I moved the comment off the ideltimeout line in the template slapd.conf,
, and  I at least got by this particular problem.  We'll see if I get
off the ground. :)

- Allen S. Rout

I made the following changes: