postfix: mail forwarding for domain if user unknown

Thomas Nintemann t.nintemann at medial-networks.de
Tue Sep 25 20:12:49 CEST 2007

Hello again,
thanks for the fast answer to my question

> Your question is very clear, but I ignore everything of your
> infrastructure. For example, can both server communicate together ?
> Can I reach port 110 and 25 of the other server ?
> Are they reachable from the internet ( port 25 and 110) ?
No, the both server cannot communicate directly together and they have no open
ports that are reachable from the Internet.

> 1. Create user2 mailbox on the server and make a fetch from the other.
This is not possible because there no open pop3 on the system.

> 2. Sieve use /kolab/sbin/sendmail command to inject forwarded email
> into the postfix queue. If you install another SMTP queue, using your
> ISP smarthost and change option
> "sendmail" in /kolab/etc/imapd/imapd.conf to your new MTA sendmail
> command (probably
> /usr/bin/sendmail) then email for user2 will be send to your server on
> the internet and your
> second server will fetch them as usual.
> This is very easy to do, just install the postfix package of your
> distribution, change the smtpd port (or just suppress it) in
> master.cf, configure a smarthost into main.cf, and empty
> mydestination.
This may work on a openPKG kolab-system but my system is a
Kolab - openSUSE, so my sendmail binary and the postfix package is using by
kolab in a non openPKG environment.

I have search for my problem and i have found an similarly case of that in the
Mailinglist:
http://www.intevation.de/pipermail/kolab-users/2006-September/005355.html
The different ist that my both kolab-systems must to be able the forward the
emails from every user that have no local mailbox to my ISP so the e-mails
would be fetch and sort in for the mailbox. Fetchmail is not running in
multidrop mode so every kolab-system gets only mails that have local
mailboxes.

This was the solve for the problem:
http://www.intevation.de/pipermail/kolab-users/2006-September/005356.html

Is this possible for me too?