postfix: mail forwarding for domain if user unknown

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 17:55:40 CEST 2007

Your question is very clear, but I ignore everything of your infrastructure.
For example, can both server communicate together ?
Can I reach port 110 and 25 of the other server ?
Are they reachable from the internet ( port 25 and 110) ?

Here are 2 "non postfix aware" solution.

1. Create user2 mailbox on the server and make a fetch from the other.
2. Sieve use /kolab/sbin/sendmail command to inject forwarded email
into the postfix queue. If you install another SMTP queue, using your
ISP smarthost and change option
"sendmail" in /kolab/etc/imapd/imapd.conf to your new MTA sendmail
command (probably
/usr/bin/sendmail) then email for user2 will be send to your server on
the internet and your
second server will fetch them as usual.
This is very easy to do, just install the postfix package of your
distribution, change the smtpd port (or just suppress it) in
master.cf, configure a smarthost into main.cf, and empty
mydestination.

Regards

Alain

On 9/25/07, Thomas Nintemann <t.nintemann at medial-networks.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a maildomain "example.org" and some users on different kolab-systems at
> different places. The kolab systems, call them place-1 and place-2, have all
> the same maildomain "example.com".
> They do fetchmail mails from Internet and have a ISP as smarthost for relay.
>
> My question is:
> It is possible to configure postfix under kolab so that mails
> for "user2 at example.com", that the kolab-system on place-1 does not now, will
> automatically be forwarded do the kolab-system on place-2?
>
> Thanks
>
> Thomas

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com