postfix: mail forwarding for domain if user unknown

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 21:29:08 CEST 2007

On 9/25/07, Thomas Nintemann <t.nintemann at medial-networks.de> wrote:
> Hello again,
> thanks for the fast answer to my question
>
> > Your question is very clear, but I ignore everything of your
> > infrastructure. For example, can both server communicate together ?
> > Can I reach port 110 and 25 of the other server ?
> > Are they reachable from the internet ( port 25 and 110) ?
> No, the both server cannot communicate directly together and they have no open
> ports that are reachable from the Internet.
> >
> > 1. Create user2 mailbox on the server and make a fetch from the other.
> This is not possible because there no open pop3 on the system.
>
> > 2. Sieve use /kolab/sbin/sendmail command to inject forwarded email
> > into the postfix queue. If you install another SMTP queue, using your
> > ISP smarthost and change option
> > "sendmail" in /kolab/etc/imapd/imapd.conf to your new MTA sendmail
> > command (probably
> > /usr/bin/sendmail) then email for user2 will be send to your server on
> > the internet and your
> > second server will fetch them as usual.
> > This is very easy to do, just install the postfix package of your
> > distribution, change the smtpd port (or just suppress it) in
> > master.cf, configure a smarthost into main.cf, and empty
> > mydestination.
> This may work on a openPKG kolab-system but my system is a
> Kolab - openSUSE, so my sendmail binary and the postfix package is using by
> kolab in a non openPKG environment.

You are lucky you can install openpkg postfix :-)
Or a another full version of kolab :-)

Seriously, you could install nullmailer instead. ( a very basic MTA )
or smtpclient, a sendmail command replacement.

OR .... look below

> I have search for my problem and i have found an similarly case of that in the
> Mailinglist:
> http://www.intevation.de/pipermail/kolab-users/2006-September/005355.html
> The different ist that my both kolab-systems must to be able the forward the
> emails from every user that have no local mailbox to my ISP so the e-mails
> would be fetch and sort in for the mailbox. Fetchmail is not running in
> multidrop mode so every kolab-system gets only mails that have local
> mailboxes.
>
> This was the solve for the problem:
> http://www.intevation.de/pipermail/kolab-users/2006-September/005356.html
>
> Is this possible for me too?

Yes.

The simplest solution is :

add this line to /etc/postfix/transport
user2 at example.com smtp:[your.isp.smarthost]

# postmap /etc/postfix/transport

check in main.cf if /etc/postfix/transport is in transport_maps

Make a try !

Now, using the kolab GUI only :

Add your ISP smarthost as a kolab slave (at the end of service pannel)
Create user2 on the server, but change  "Mailbox Home Server" to the
name of your ISP smarthost.
That's it !

Now the postfix transport_map will take care of this address and
forward it to your ISP smarthost.
Try to send an email to user2 and look in the postfix log.
This should work on a pristine kolab 2.1. (maybe a 2.0 too)

Regards.

Alain

> Thanks
>
> Thomas