Horde Web Framework, and OpenPKG question

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Apr 19 11:36:32 CEST 2007

"Webb, Paul" <pwebb at webbenabled.com> writes:

> Gunnar,
>
> Thanks for the response!
>
> I followed the instructions on
> http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab2_Installation_-_Horde when I
> did my install, but when I was finished I was left with a folder
> containing all of the Horde utilities, but none of the
> framework. For instance, I had imp, turba, etc... but no index.php
> in the horde folder. I also didn't have the config subdirectory or
> any of the others that I should have had. This happened on two
> separate Kolab 2.1 RC1 installs where the Host OS was Ubuntu 6.10
> with all of the patches installed.

Ok, that was a problem others had too but this should have been fixed
in the newest release. I only announce recent changes on the
dev-mailing list at the moment. I should probably also update the wiki
page once I change something on the packages.

> That said, I was left with an incomplete/broken install of Horde
> after 6 hours of compilation time... for a web client that takes up
> 50 mb of space on my server! Any way to speed that up? Every time I
> attempt the install, we're looking at 6 hours of compile time plus
> the possibility that it will break the Kolab server and I'll have to
> do a restore of my backups (which I'm now making religiously).

Yes, you can certainly update only the horde packages. I just describe
the obmtool.conf way since it is the simplest and probably safest
method. But if you know how to handle the rpm tool within the /kolab
OpenPKG environment then you should be fine updating only the horde
packages. The installation of a php package is actually rather quick
and the obmtool.conf only takes that long because some base packages
get recompiled wich is not necessary.

> Is there a way to get just the necessary files to install rather
> than do a full-on recompile of the entire server? Perhaps a package
> like a .tar.gz that you decompress and expand into the
> /kolab/var/kolab/www/horde directory? Then if it's broken or
> incomplete, I can see that and switch back to the partially working
> one with only 10-15 minutes of downtime.

At the current stage of development I do not intend to change anything
on the installation method suggested on the wiki page. It makes more
sense to finalize that once the horde packages are available within
the normal Kolab CVS.

I actually do not want to mislead users into believing that Horde can
already be installed without problems on a Kolab server. It is clear
that we'll get there in time but right now this will only work for
people that know both Kolab and Horde very well. And I really mean
_very_ well :)

Cheers,

Gunnar