Problem with a file attach and a special spanish word

Torsten Irländer torsten.irlaender at intevation.de
Thu Jun 8 12:27:33 CEST 2006

On Wednesday, 7. June 2006 18:43, Benoit BURATTI wrote:
> hi,
>
> I use kolab 2.1 , my clients are thunderbird and outlook toltec connector.
> I found a problem when i send an e-mail file attach with a name like
> this "MESAS DE CONFECCIÓN.zip" if the recipient read the mail with
> thunderbird no problem but if i use outlook ot squierrlmail the file is
> not recognise, they don't know the extension outlook said me file
> attach: ATT00120.dat and squirrelmail said untitled-[2]  [
> application/octet-stream ], with the file attach and a name like this
> without the accent it is working "MESAS DE CONFECCION.zip" .

This sounds like an encoding Problem of your email.
The "Ó" in your filename is not presentable with 7bits, so it needs to be
encoded in some other way. Unfortunally RFC1806 says:

2.3
[...]
Current [RFC 1521] grammar restricts parameter values (and hence
Content-Disposition filenames) to US-ASCII.  We recognize the great
desirability of allowing arbitrary character sets in filenames, but
it is beyond the scope of this document to define the necessary
mechanisms.  We expect that the basic [RFC 1521] `value'
specification will someday be amended to allow use of non-US-ASCII
characters, at which time the same mechanism should be used in the
Content-Disposition filename parameter.

So I would say you can only rely on the correct interpretation of your
attachements when using only 7Bit ascii filenames. I know many clients
support other that[0], but as far as there is not standard for this you will
get problems.

Which client are you using for sending the mail?

[0] AFAIK Kmail for example uses url-encoded filenames for this on sending.
This must be understood by the other site.

Regards
Torsten

--
Torsten Irländer                                    Intevation GmbH

torsten.irlaender at intevation.de
http://www.intevation.de/