Problem with a file attach and a special spanish word

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jun 11 20:01:36 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 18:43, Benoit BURATTI wrote:
> hi,
>
> I use kolab 2.1 , my clients are thunderbird and outlook toltec
> connector. I found a problem when i send an e-mail file attach with a
> name like this "MESAS DE CONFECCIÓN.zip" if the recipient read the
> mail with thunderbird no problem but if i use outlook ot squierrlmail
> the file is not recognise, they don't know the extension outlook said
> me file attach: ATT00120.dat and squirrelmail said untitled-[2]  [
> application/octet-stream ], with the file attach and a name like this
> without the accent it is working "MESAS DE CONFECCION.zip" .

Outlook is broken. In KMail we have the special setting
"Outlook-compatible attachment naming" which when enabled makes KMail
put the name of the attachment in such a way in the message such that
Outlook understands the attachment name. Unfortunately, this
Outlook-compatible attachment naming is not compatible with RFC 2231
(which updates RFC 1806 mentioned by Torsten). Thunderbird probably
(correctly) encodes the attachment names according to RFC 2231.

Regards,
Ingo