Experience with kontact & online IMAP?

Till Adam till at adam-lilienthal.de
Tue Aug 15 20:22:16 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 14:55, ITSEF Admin wrote:

> I am wondering whether there are people on the list who are using
> kontact (especially proko2) with online IMAP accounts. The reason I'm
> asking is that we have split some accounts at our site into combined
> DIMAP/IMAP accounts. Since then, all users where this split has been
> performed see a lot more crashes from kontact - pure DIMAP *seems* a
> lot more stable.

DIMAP has seen a lot of stability work in proko2, as has online IMAP in
the 3.x series. Since online IMAP only got into the kolab picture very
recently, we're still getting that area of the code up to speed,
relatively. I'd be interested in any backtraces of crashes you or your
users encounter. If I recognise the crash I can often find the fix I
did in 3.x and backport it rather quickly.

> Also, the DIMAP accounts seem a lot more performant
> - we've seen many occasions where kontact would sit waiting on an
> online IMAP folder to finally sync and show up. I'm curious as to
> what other folks have seen in that regard.

Online IMAP does certain things a lot faster, and others a bit slower
than dimap, due to the way it works. The slowness you see is probably
latency, waiting around for server roundtrips, rather than processing
slowness. If you have specific cases that are particularly slow, please
report them issues, and we'll have a look.

Cheers,

Till