Experience with kontact & online IMAP?

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at itsef.com
Wed Aug 16 12:30:13 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 20:22, Till Adam wrote:
> DIMAP has seen a lot of stability work in proko2, as has online IMAP in
> the 3.x series. Since online IMAP only got into the kolab picture very
> recently, we're still getting that area of the code up to speed,
> relatively. I'd be interested in any backtraces of crashes you or your
> users encounter. If I recognise the crash I can often find the fix I
> did in 3.x and backport it rather quickly.

Grand, will do that. I'm actively collecting them (and have submitted three
issues already). Unfortunately, some problems are difficult to reproduce
(like some crashes we've seen when cancelling an IMAP sync). :-(

For now, I'll probably stay on DIMAP/IMAP myself and keep the rest of the
users on pure DIMAP (maybe except for a selected few who can deal with a
crash). We have too many Linux sceptics still for crashes to occur... :-}

> Online IMAP does certain things a lot faster, and others a bit slower
> than dimap, due to the way it works. The slowness you see is probably
> latency, waiting around for server roundtrips, rather than processing
> slowness. If you have specific cases that are particularly slow, please
> report them issues, and we'll have a look.

I'll have to look into that and will report back. The one thing that really
gets me is the difference in response time compared e.g. to mutt when on IMAP
- it happens very often in KMail that I click on an IMAP folder and the
progress bar starts up and hangs at 0% for a long time. mutt always starts

Anyway, thanks (also to Bernhard) for clearing this up - this is much
appreciated!

Cheerio,

Thomas