Basic Questions Kolab 1+2

Torsten Irländer torsten.irlaender at intevation.de
Tue Apr 11 19:18:52 CEST 2006

On Tuesday, 11. April 2006 16:26, eric poscher wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for asking such a basic question, but this has been unclear to me
> during the last weeks, since I have been experimenting with kolab. If i
> got that correctly there is two different Kolabs:
>
> Method1: several clients share an imap folder where they store contact
> &addressbook info, as does thunderbird with synckolab.
>
> Method2: several clients like KDEKontact, Outlook&Toltec or Horde Turba
> share addressbooks & calenders stored somewhere in LDAP-land.

Hi,
There are two ways in kolab 2 to share informations among other users.

1. Per LDAP for contacts only. All kolab user are stored there. You may add
some additional persons. But this is not the common way to share your data.

2. IMAP Folders. Every user in kolab has some groupware folders which contain
information on contacts, notes, appointments etc. You may wnat to share this
information by giving other users access rights to your folders.

> As far as I understood things, the both Methods 1+2 are not linked to
> each other and thus it's not possible to share a common addressbase
> together between clients(1) and clients(2)

No, your common address database is the LDAP addressbook mentioned above.
It should be available to all clients.

> In Synckolab there is a choice of Format between Kolab1(vcf) and
> Kolab2(xml). What exactly do the numbers represent or correspond to?

I don't know if i get your question right but i'll try to answer.
With Kolab 2 the way how information about appointements and contacts are
stored has changed.

> Andreas once mentioned that there exists a perl script which has the
> ability to synchronise between the above described Methods 1 + 2.
> Any hints as to how reliably this can be done and where to get, howto
> install it?

Can't tell you anything here. But btw. about which version of kolab are we
talking here?  ;)

--
Torsten Irländer                                    Intevation GmbH

torsten.irlaender at intevation.de
http://www.intevation.de/