OpenLDAP creates very high CPU load during some slapcat/ldapsearch/ldapmodify (i.e. breaks Kolab).

Adam Tworkowski atworkowski at masterfile.com
Tue Sep 6 16:19:48 CEST 2005

Hi,

Has anyone else had any issues were running ldapsearch, ldapmodify or
slapcat creates high load / mail unavailability?

I have had an issue on at least four occasions where running one of the
above commands has shot the cpu up from 0.1 to >15 in several minutes.

The first several occasions involved using ldapsearch and ldapmodify.
Until today I had ruled these out (assumed) as poorly formed
ldapsearch/modify queries that cause some sort of race condition.  Today
I had the same issue simply running /kolab/sbin/slapcat.

I have been rectifying the issue by gracefully shutting down Kolab, then
forcibly killing slapd (/kolab/libexec/openldap/slapd -h ldap://
ldaps://) and then restarting Kolab.

The obvious mitigation is not to run these commands manually during
production hours.  That said, if slapcat causes this condition, is there
a possibility that an action on the web UI will cause the same issue?

Thanks in advance.

Adam Tworkowski, atworkowski at masterfile.com
Systems Administrator, Computer Department
Masterfile Corporation, www.masterfile.com

This e-mail message is privileged, confidential and subject to
copyright. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited.