filter rules server-ased?

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Tue Sep 6 16:08:53 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 14:39, Markus Heller wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> I have a question, as I was away the last week, and I have installed
> squirrelmail to access my emails from outside.
>
> Since I have registeres on a number of mailing lists, I get about 300 mails
> per day, most of which will be filtered away into certain folders.
>
> When I was away, I logged into squirrelmail and I saw more than 1800 email
> in my inbox! Not having had my kontact / kmail client I assume that the
> filtering is all done on the client side.
>
> Is there a way to do the filtering on the server side? (I have the feeling
> that Sieve is what I'm looking for, but I don't know anything about it)

Hi Markus
Yes, you want to use Sieve for this, it is very simple. I have use smartsieve
[1] here - it is a web based frontend to enable users to create quite complex
filtering rules. Not sure how well it will mix with the kolab web gui sieve
rules, but I have had no problems as long as they are not mixed. I can't
remember the details of installing, but I'm pretty sure it was a simple
untar, vi some.conf and then run. If you have problems, mail and I will look
at my setup to advise :)
Cheers,
Hamish

[1] http://smartsieve.sourceforge.net/