personal opinion.....

Richard Bos richard at radoeka.nl
Sun Oct 30 11:15:52 CET 2005

Op zaterdag 29 oktober 2005 00:00, schreef Martin Konold:
> > The kolab rpms have to be build by one self.
>
> I think that we shall offer SUSE, RH, Debian binary packages in the future.
> These repositories shall be made available with apt,yum,.....

That could be possible indeed, now you say that.  The rpm dbs are completely
seperated indeed.  For suse and RH, etc you could offer a yum only repository
as the world is moving into that direction.  For debian should offer an apt
rep indeed.

> > In my case running suse-9.3,
> > I did not yet upgrade to suse10, because of the kolab components.
>
> You simply could update SUSE from 9.3 to 10 as the update process of SUSE
> does explicitly not touch /kolab.
>
> Kolab will keep running as before!
>
> > know if the kolab rpms are working on suse10...
>
> Of course they are. Anything else would be a major desaster for SUSE.
>
> The dependeny of Kolab with regards to binary compatibility is only the
> libc. The libc of SUSE 10 allows to run Kolab packages compiled for 9.3

I read somewhere that someone had problems building kolab on suse10 (don't
where anyone, and perhaps that has been solved already as well).

Anyway, it's an example that shows that it is a bit cumbersome to have a
seperate installation.

> > Last but not least openpkg does not make it possible for distributors to
> > include/distribute kolab.
>
> For me this is the most convincing reason to support the effort to port to
> distributions. (And it also helps to put some cleanup pressure on Kolab...)

Indeed.

--
Richard