personal opinion.....

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sat Oct 29 00:00:31 CEST 2005

Am Freitag, 28. Oktober 2005 23:21 schrieb Richard Bos:

Hi Richard,

> The kolab rpms have to be build by one self.

I think that we shall offer SUSE, RH, Debian binary packages in the future.
These repositories shall be made available with apt,yum,.....

> In my case running suse-9.3,
> I did not yet upgrade to suse10, because of the kolab components.

You simply could update SUSE from 9.3 to 10 as the update process of SUSE does
explicitly not touch /kolab.

Kolab will keep running as before!

> know if the kolab rpms are working on suse10...

Of course they are. Anything else would be a major desaster for SUSE.

The dependeny of Kolab with regards to binary compatibility is only the libc.
The libc of SUSE 10 allows to run Kolab packages compiled for 9.3

> prebuild distribution rpms that would be easier/more comfortable.

Yes, I agree.

> Also
> there would be most likely only 1 place to download the (prebuild!) rpms
> from.

Yes, but adding additional apt, yum, installation source is not that
difficult. When using

apt-get update and apt-get upgrade the kolab maintainance would not mean any
extra effort for the administrator of the system.

> And only 1 place to follow for security updates.  With kolab
> installed it might be needed to install the same package twice...

Yes, but if the maintainance and security updates are handled by tools like
you or better apt/yum it does not really matter how many packages are
updated.

The only real problem I have with OpenPKG is the fact that it is using pseudo
static compiles.

> Last but not least openpkg does not make it possible for distributors to
> include/distribute kolab.

For me this is the most convincing reason to support the effort to port to
distributions. (And it also helps to put some cleanup pressure on Kolab...)

> You don't need to worry about those things, we will.

I am looking forward to it.

Greetings,
-- martin

--