personal opinion.....

Markus Feilner lists at feilner-it.net
Sun Oct 30 01:21:41 CEST 2005

Am Freitag, 28. Oktober 2005 22:18 schrieb Martin Konold:
> Am Freitag, 28. Oktober 2005 21:36 schrieb Joe Auty:
>
> Hi Joe,
>
> > > How do you want to keep the coherent management infrastructure
> > > (kolabd) with
> > > e.g. a SUSE Apache?
> > >
> > > The problem is that SUSE admins expect that YaST handles the
> > > Apache, imapd,...
> > > configuration not kolab....
> >
> > Well, are there technical issues with mixing and matching user
> > installed parts with Kolab (i.e. Kolab requiring specific versions),
>
> Yes, Kolab requires enhanced versions (some patches and versions are
> required)

And why does it? Why are they necessary?
What exactly are the reasons that make patched software necessary?
Can you give some examples?

I am one of the "friends" Markus mentioned, and I have worked with different
Groupware Servers. Only kolab seems to need patched versions of standard
software to accomplish the same tasks like others do.
I have tried e.g. OpenXchange and before the SuSe Open-Xchange - and I
consider its necessity for a java server disgusting and unnecessary, because
other groupware solutions do without. The same seems to apply to Kolab with
regards to:
- installation
- update,
- distribution integration,
- modular structure (more backends)

egroupware in fact could be a very good role model for Kolab at the moment.
Just try the installation and configuration routine - all from the browser -
this is state of the art! The only thing missing is the ability to store
groupware data in the IMAP folders.

Nevertheless, I like the Kolab approach, don't get me wrong!
And sadly, I was told this week that Kolab is out of the game in the Limux
Project (Munich City) - Is this also because of the lack of modern online
updates? Does anybody know?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Markus Feilner

Feilner IT Linux & GIS
Linux Solutions, Training, Seminare und Workshops - auch Inhouse
Beraiterweg 4 93047 Regensburg Untere Hauptstr 2 85386 Eching
fon regensburg  +49 941 8107989 fon eching      +49 89 379 956 3
fax +49 89 379 956 444  mobil + +49 170 3027092
skype ID: mfeilner mail: mfeilner at feilner-it.net
SIP: +49 941 569 549 5 (sipgate)