personal opinion.....

Scott Newton scottn at ihug.co.nz
Sun Oct 30 10:58:42 CET 2005

On Sunday, 30 October 2005 22:38, Martin Konold wrote:
> I fail to understand your question.
>
> A typical thin-client setup looks like:
>
> Kolab server - terminal server - thin client
>
> Technically sometimes there are also potentially many application servers.
> But this does not matter here.
>
> dIMAP works perfectly in such an environment.
>
> So what do you mean with "full imap support". Technically dIMAP is a
> superset of IMAP not the other way...

My understanding of cachedimap (which may well be wrong) is that the mail is
stored in two places - on the server and on the client and they are synced
when the client is connected to the server. We were thinking of something
along the lines of a compressed linux image on a flash rom on the terminal
and the user keeping their basic configuration data on a flash pen so it
wouldn't matter which particular thin terminal they were logged on to rather
than having, say, an NFS share for the configuration data. Under this
scenario there wouldn't really be a client side to store the mail data.

As I said, at the moment it's just an idea - I'm just trying to figure out if
it is possible or not.

Thanks
--
Regards