Kontact as Kolab Client

Bo Thorsen bo at thorsen-consulting.dk
Fri Oct 22 09:06:50 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 15:27, Gustavo Michels wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have two questions about using Kontact as a kolab client:
>
> 1) As you may know, I am doing MS Exchange to Kolab migration. My
> previous problem, converting calendar emails with vcalendars to emails
> with kolab xml format is done and working almost 100%.

Would you be interested in writing a text that describes the steps
involved in this? It's one of the MFAQs (Most Freq...) how to migrate.
And having a HOWTO on this would be a great contribution.

> Then I came to a test case where the event in the Exchange server had
> (inline) attachments. I converted the event to xml format, included the
> <inline-attachment> tags, added the encoded attachments on the email. I
> can read the converted email and open the attachments in KMail, but
> KOrganizer won't show any attachments.
>
> My question is if KOrganizer can handle inline attachments, as the only
> option I saw in it was for adding link attachments.

It could possibly be that there is a bug in Kontact. (Yeah, I know, sounds
unlikely, doesn't it :)

Could you send one of those mails here as an attachment? The easiest way
to do it is to find the file in .kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap/... The dir
structure in dimap follows your folder structure. Subfolders are placed
in for example .INBOX.directory/... Each mail is in a single file and is
usually in, for example, dimap/INBOX/cur or
dimap/.INBOX.directory/mysubfolder/cur.

> 2) Users coming from Exchange are used to having all their mailboxes
> folders (I am referring to outbox, sent-mail, trash and drafts) on the
> server. KMail, however, stores them locally on the disk. Wouldn't it be
> better to store these folders in the Kolab server also? Maybe an option
> on kolabwizard to store everything on the server?

You can't change the outbox folder in kmail, but sent-mail and drafts can
be set in the identity setup and the trash folder can be set in the
sending account setup.

It's an ongoing discussion among kmail people whether to make it possible
to ditch the local folders completely. So far the outcome has not really
been decisive in any way.

Bo.