Kontact as Kolab Client

Gustavo Michels gustavo.michels at ig.com.br
Fri Oct 22 13:58:36 CEST 2004

Hello Bo

> Would you be interested in writing a text that describes the steps
> involved in this? It's one of the MFAQs (Most Freq...) how to migrate.
> And having a HOWTO on this would be a great contribution.

You mean the calendar part or everything? So far I can migrate emails,
calendar and notes. I still have problems automating the migration of
contacts and tasks, but I am looking for solution (doesn't look very good,
though).

Anyway, my migration steps still need further testing. I will soon test it
on a 50-user exchange server, if everything goes ok, I will happily provide
a howto, along with the scripts I created to do the job.

> Could you send one of those mails here as an attachment? The easiest way
> to do it is to find the file in .kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap/... The dir
> structure in dimap follows your folder structure. Subfolders are placed
> in for example .INBOX.directory/... Each mail is in a single file and is
> usually in, for example, dimap/INBOX/cur or
> dimap/.INBOX.directory/mysubfolder/cur.

I prefer to send it privately to you, it's a 1.2 mb email (contains two
attachments). Can't I just get the email from the calendar folder in kmail
(I have the 'hide groupware folders' disabled)?

> You can't change the outbox folder in kmail, but sent-mail and drafts can
> be set in the identity setup and the trash folder can be set in the
> sending account setup.
>
> It's an ongoing discussion among kmail people whether to make it possible
> to ditch the local folders completely. So far the outcome has not really
> been decisive in any way.

I think there should be at least an option, but the way you said sounded it
will take a loooong time for the kmail people to decide.

Anyway, there's a way to do the folder settings using the kiosk framework
and default profiles for users. When kmail is first launched after
kolabwizard, it will create the groupware resource folders automatically if
they don't exist, but I don't see a way to make it create on the server the
non-resource folders such as sent-mail and drafts. And if they don't exist,
kmail will complaint about the missing folders.

Or maybe I could create a script which will login each user to cyrus and
create the folders I need. It's ugly, but I think it will work.

Thanks
Gustavo