Some various questions about Kolab 1

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Dec 13 17:16:54 CET 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004, Antoine Boegli wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> >On Monday 13 December 2004 13:56, Antoine Boegli wrote:

> >>- The network contain Mandrake boxes, Windows 2k and XP boxes. The
> >>server is a MDK10.1, with a P3 450MHz, 512MB, 20GB HD, etc. A very basic
> >>config.

> >What kind of client software?
> Kontact 1.0 and Outlook 2k3

Unfortunatley I do not know how good that version of Kontact is
regarding Kolab1 client funcationality.

It does not have full Kolab2 client funcationality,
for this you would need the proko2_branch.

> >>- On a side note, every Linux boxes mount their /home through a NFS
> >>server, authenticating with a NIS service.
> >
> >Make sure that cyrus imapd uses a non-nfs volume,
> >otherwise you will have problems.
>
> Mmh. By this, you mean on the server side or on the client side ? Where
> are the directories used by Cyrus ?

Server side, cyrus usually has the data under
/kolab/var/imapd/

> >>Now, the questions :
> >>
> >>1) I am not able to access the calendar. Something doesn't work with the
> >>IMAP but I have not found what. Any idea ? The mail are ok, but it's all.
> >>

> >Events are saved inside of emails, if you can access emails with IMAP
> >you can also use Kolab clients. You only need to configure them.
> >

> Ok. I get the mails with the events, but when clicking on the "Accept
> event" link, Kontact do nothing at all. I'm somewhat flabergasted (i
> like this word) about what to configure for it to work, having followed
> the doc on the website.

(This might be a Kontact 1.0 problem I cannot say precisely.)
Usually you should have a configured resource for your events to go,
after a click it should register it there.

> >For Outlook this means getting proprietary plug-in and we recomment Toltec.
> >Toltec 1.9.x is stable and can do Kolab1.
> >
> Ok. It seems to be a good one.
> >
> >>2) Should I use the Kolab 2 ? And if yes, can I use it with an Outlook
> >>plug-in ?
> >
> >Toltec 2.x for Kolab2 is under development, it has reached early beta.
>
> Then I'll have to stay with Kolab1. For the moment at least.

You can use the Kolab2 Server with Kolab1 clients,
because Kolab2 Server is much more modern.

> >>4) Does anyone use the Kolab server as a Posix authentificator ?
> >What do you mean by that precisely?

> Well... a PAM, using LDAP instead of the /etc/passwd file

Then some people do this, they shall speak up. ;)

> >I think people do, the problem is that you need to have the right
> >structure and information in the LDAP-tree.
> >Kolab2's ldap tree is more flexible in this regard then Kolab1's ldap tree.
> >This is almost orthogonal to Kolab as we did not build in authentification
> >to other services, though the can be connected.

	Bernhard