Some various questions about Kolab 1

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Dec 13 14:37:00 CET 2004

On Monday 13 December 2004 13:56, Antoine Boegli wrote:
> I'm new here, and I have some n00b questions about the settings of a
> working Kolab1 server :) Care to give me some answer ? Yes ? Thank you
> all. ;)

Hi, welcome!

> The setup :
>
> - The network contain Mandrake boxes, Windows 2k and XP boxes. The
> server is a MDK10.1, with a P3 450MHz, 512MB, 20GB HD, etc. A very basic
> config.

What kind of client software?

> - I need  to have a mail server, a shared calendar and some basic
> groupware tools, with access from KDE, Mozilla, Evolution and Outlook.
> Reducing the list to Kontact and Outlook, I can use Kolab 1.
>
> - I have made the install, solved a strange problem of configuration in
> Postfix (it doesn't give the mails to the imap server).
>
> - All the users are purely virtuals (aka no system user).
>
> - On a side note, every Linux boxes mount their /home through a NFS
> server, authenticating with a NIS service.

Make sure that cyrus imapd uses a non-nfs volume,
otherwise you will have problems.

> Now, the questions :
>
> 1) I am not able to access the calendar. Something doesn't work with the
> IMAP but I have not found what. Any idea ? The mail are ok, but it's all.

Events are saved inside of emails, if you can access emails with IMAP
you can also use Kolab clients. You only need to configure them.
For Outlook this means getting proprietary plug-in and we recomment Toltec.
Toltec 1.9.x is stable and can do Kolab1.

> 2) Should I use the Kolab 2 ? And if yes, can I use it with an Outlook
> plug-in ?

Toltec 2.x for Kolab2 is under development, it has reached early beta.

> 3) Where can i found a detailed "how to" for troubleshooting the Kolab
> groupware ?? (I have to admit, to my great shame, that I am not a German
> speaker at all, even if I'm Swiss...)

The Kolab1 and Kolab2 architecure papers give you an idea
how the whole system works. The components, like openldap, postfix
and Cyrus imapd are then intensively documented outside of Kolab Server.

> More advanced questions :
>
> 4) Does anyone use the Kolab server as a Posix authentificator ?

What do you mean by that precisely?
I think people do, the problem is that you need to have the right
structure and information in the LDAP-tree.
Kolab2's ldap tree is more flexible in this regard then Kolab1's ldap tree.
This is almost orthogonal to Kolab as we did not build in authentification
to other services, though the can be connected.