Basic rationale of the KEP #2 design

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Fri Mar 11 14:04:22 CET 2011

On Thursday 03 March 2011 12.27:42 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Can you say again why all clients need that translation table?

Because the TZID in the VTIMEZONE will likely follow the system convention for
the client sending out the invitation, and like many other clients we're
strictly following the TZID, and not the static encoding of that client's
interpretation and guesstimate about the future evolution of that time zone.

For most systems, that will be Olson, but for Windows that is likely the
Windows time zone database location. So in order to correctly interpret an
invitation coming from a Windows system, Kontact on GNU/Linux will need to
know which Olson location that translates into.

Best regards,
Georg

P.S. And yes, this means we will not be able to handle the individually defined
time zones which VTIMEZONE allows to invent. The reason for this is that there
is no known use case for them.

--
Georg C. F. Greve
Chief Executive Officer