Basic rationale of the KEP #2 design

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Fri Mar 11 16:22:57 CET 2011

On Friday 11 March 2011 14.04:22 Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> For most systems, that will be Olson, but for Windows that is likely the
> Windows time zone database location. So in order to correctly interpret an
> invitation coming from a Windows system, Kontact on GNU/Linux will need to
> know which Olson location that translates into.

Ah, and FWIW, creating that table might not be quite as hard as one might
think, considering that we have this to start from:

  http://unicode.org/repos/cldr-tmp/trunk/diff/supplemental/zone_tzid.html

and that there is a public domain package for Olson time zones for .NET:

  http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dotnet/Using_time_zones_in_NET.aspx

So the primary question here is one of practicality: How do we compress these
tables in the best way for all the various clients that will need to use them,
what is the most convenient and space-efficient storage format from an
implementors point of view?

Best regards,
Georg

--