Recurring events with timezone

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Wed Oct 20 14:59:41 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 20 October 2010 13.46:37 Hendrik Helwich wrote:
> I think this would even be more complicated.

I agree. Hence my asking for input on it. If we think about modifying the
format, I would like to take as much input into account as possible to ensure
we don't have to reopen that can of worms a month later. :)

> The event must be related to a specific user and must track its timezone.

Yes. Logically, this would be done by the client.

Question is: How would this come across phone synchronization, if at all? Does
ActiveSync support something like this concept?

> Or does this event should happen always at the same local time for
> everybody no matter in which time zone this person is?

You mean like a shared event of five people where each of them should do "X" at
12:00 every day regardless of where they are?

> If it is like this it would not be useful for an event which is shared,
> because then everybody would come to a different time to that meeting if
> the people are in different time zones.

For a shared event I can see at least the secretary scenario as a likely use
case, i.e. the secretary should give the boss his daily briefing in the morning
no matter where the boss is. But then the secretary's client would need to
know the time zone of the boss. Definitely not trivial.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve