Character escaping or refurbish Kolab format definition towards XML syntax?

Gerd v. Egidy gerd.von.egidy at intra2net.com
Wed Feb 7 19:09:10 CET 2007

Hi Martin,

> categories (string, default "") - The categories is a comma separated list.
> There is no fixed set of categories in this format. The clients are free to
> choose."
>
> I think the above definition is missing the case when a category itself
> does contain the comma character.

I just checked if Outlook allows using a comma within a category name. At
least Outlook 2003 does not. It creates two categories, separated at the
comma.

Independently from the used xml format, we'd have to forbid the comma within a
category name if we want to stay compatible with Outlook.

> In addition a new optional element
> {<category><category>} is added which might appear multiple times.

This would be the format I'd prefer for new tags. But I don't see the point in
changing an existing format with all the compatibility issues when all we add
is beauty.

So I propose to leave the comma separated <categories> in place and add a
sentence to the spec explicitly forbidding commas as category names.

Kind regards,

Gerd