Character escaping or refurbish Kolab format definition towards XML syntax?

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Tue Feb 6 01:14:54 CET 2007

Hi,

http://kolab.org/doc/kolabformat-2.0rc5-html/c183.html#COMMON-IN-ALL-TYPES

"4.1. Common Fields In All Types

categories (string, default "") - The categories is a comma separated list.
There is no fixed set of categories in this format. The clients are free to
choose."

I think the above definition is missing the case when a category itself does
contain the comma character.

Do we in general want to introduce a Kolab format specific escape character in
order to deal with these kind of problems in the Kolab format?

On the other hand I think that using a comma seperated list is not really how
xml ist supposed to work.

Why not create a list of categories by allowing:
<category>cat1</category>
<category>cat 2, with comma and spaces</category>
<category>cat 3 with escaped XML characters <,>,&
'"</category>

So do you favour an escape character approach or the alternativ XML approch
which allows multiple <category> elements?

Personally I am in favour of leaving the old <categories> using the old syntax
but declaring it deprecated. In addition a new optional element
{<category><category>} is added which might appear multiple times.

This would allow us to remain fully backwards compatible while solving the
escape issue and becoming more standards compliant.

Opinions welcome!

Regards,
-- martin

--
e r f r a k o n
Sitz: Stuttgart - Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart PR 126