Distribution lists

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Wed Sep 22 15:35:28 CEST 2004

Hi Reinhold,

> > It depends on how you resolve your contacts. 1 contact can have
> > multiple email addresses, but as each email address must be unique,
> > the email address can always be used to find the contact.
>
> I don't think it can work that way. Both my father and my
> mother use the same email address. You don't want to say that
> the kolab server thinks that my father and my mother are the
> same person, do you?
> Bottom line is, one contact can have different email
> addresses, but different contacts can also have the same
> email address.
> However, each contact can have a preferred email address,
> which will be used by the distribution lists (at least in KDE).

A shared email address is very rare, I do not have one in over 4000
contacts. How many do you have?

Is there any use case where the combination of display name and email
address will not find you a contact? If yes, does it really matter?

Best regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC
Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557