Distribution lists

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Sep 22 15:41:06 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 14:21, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> On Wednesday,  22. September 2004 14:01, Joon Radley wrote:
> > It depends on how you resolve your contacts. 1 contact can have multiple
> > email addresses, but as each email address must be unique, the email
> > address can always be used to find the contact.
>
> I don't think it can work that way. Both my father and my mother use the
> same email address. You don't want to say that the kolab server thinks that
> my father and my mother are the same person, do you?

if I understood this correctly, then the server does nothing here.
(We are talking about the use of personal distribution lists in KDE, btw.)

I also think that one email address only gets email delivered to
one place and in this it is unique.
For most Groupware reasons I believe it is reasonable to
identify one email address with one entity.
So yes, if you invite the email address of your mother and your dad,
then you are inviting both.

> Bottom line is, one contact can have different email addresses, but
> different contacts can also have the same email address.
> However, each contact can have a preferred email address, which will be
> used by the distribution lists (at least in KDE).

It depends on what we want those distributions lists for.
A distribution list based on email addresses is simpler to handle,
but one which is tired to a contact also has advantages.
The drawback that you would need to have all contacts available
within the client and that the uid then needs to be globally unique
make me favour the email solution.