Note by Toltec

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Wed Jul 14 05:51:18 CEST 2004

Hi Bo,

> My gut feeling says that this isn't optimal. The XML is
> utf-8, and there shouldn't be any reason to base64 encode
> that. While working on all this over the last two years I
> have always used the ability to actually see the text easily,
> and this would be given up  with base64. Now, if that was
> just about debugging for me, we shouldn't care about it, but
> it's incredibly useful for getting user information when they
> have problems.
>
> I would truly prefer if we keep the xml file as real text. Is
> that in any way possible?

I also love the 'less' command. Probably the second most useful low level
debugging tool ever. :-)

Of all the MIME encoding available I feel most comfortable with base64. What
you put in is what you get out. This is the most important criteria for me.
The other encodings mess with the content of the encoded body.

How much information will users be able to provide you with when looking at
the format in text? We can provide a utility to extract the kolab object
from the mail for people that really want to see the raw text. The rest is
software interaction and this does not care about base64 encoding.

Best regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC
Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557