Note by Toltec

Bo Thorsen bo at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Tue Jul 13 21:24:29 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 19:49, Joon Radley wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> > > Please find attached a kolab.note object encapsulated in a
> >
> > mail messages.
> >
> > > (I am so afraid to ask this) Is this what we discussed?
> >
> > Looks ok to me.
> >
> > I'm surprised to see that the XML is base64 encoded - I guess
> > that's fine, it just doesn't help debugging :)
>
> The XML library already does some quote encoding and I truly do not
> want have issues around this. Secondly the MIME standard recommends
> that application MIME types should be base64 encoded.

My gut feeling says that this isn't optimal. The XML is utf-8, and there
shouldn't be any reason to base64 encode that. While working on all this
over the last two years I have always used the ability to actually see
the text easily, and this would be given up  with base64. Now, if that
was just about debugging for me, we shouldn't care about it, but it's
incredibly useful for getting user information when they have problems.

I would truly prefer if we keep the xml file as real text. Is that in any
way possible?

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark