[Kolab-devel] XMPP integration in Kolab web client

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Feb 2 16:06:00 CET 2014

On Thursday 23. January 2014 15.31.00 Thomas Brüderli wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I'd like to introduce you to a possible path how to integrate XMPP into
> the Kolab web client for those how have a Jabber server running along
> with their Kolab installation.
>
> This is what you need to get started:
>
> * A Kolab 3.1 installation with Roundcube 1.0
> * A Jabber server authenticating against the same LDAP service as Kolab
> * The converse.js plugin for Roundcube [1]
> * BOSH support enabled or a BOSH proxy such as punjab [2]

What server recommendations do you have for people? I tried to install
ejabberd in Debian Wheezy but surprisingly found it to be uninstallable:

I see that there are a few more options in Debian Testing, notably:

http://packages.debian.org/jessie/jabberd2
http://packages.debian.org/jessie/yate

And maybe ejabberd is fixed in that distribution as well.

[...]

> It would be nice to have out-of-the-box XMPP for Kolab.org 3.2. The XMPP
> integration preferably would become part of the Kolab setup routine,
> namely pykolab. Extending pykolab is quite easy. There's already a set
> of different setup modules that can be used as an example for adding an
> xmpp module [5].

I could probably contribute something here, but it's likely to start out life
on my own branch of pykolab. But I won't be doing anything before I've
installed an XMPP server, of course.

Paul