[Kolab-devel] 10.000 events in a Resource Calendar

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Tue May 22 02:28:19 CEST 2012

Am Samstag, 19. Mai 2012, 12:10:29 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen:

Hi,

> For testing purposes, I'm inserting 10.000 events into a resource calendar,
> all Kolab format version 3 of course. 10.000 is a lot to start with,

> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Since the early days of Kolab this scenario was always in focus when trying to
create a scalable solution.

Concept:

- Kolab needs to provide freebusy information for general freebusy lookup
anyway in a very fast manner

- Freebusy only changes when new IMAP objects are created in a calendar
(remember that there is no modify)

- Kolab creates partial freebusy information whenever a new object is written
to a calendar folder in IMAP

- When an invitation e.g. via iTip arives you simply need to check for an
overlap with the freebusy list of the user involved (freebusy is the set union
of the partial freebusy lists)

- This old Kolab solution scales nearly O(1) and scales therefore nearly
independent of the number of event.

Regards,
-- martin
P.S.: This is the old story that Kolab is intentionally not founded on the
principals of relational databases.
P.P.S.: The Kolab architure implements the following concepts:
1. read access is common and must be fast
2. write access might be slower though latency for creation of partial
freebusy can be hidden for 100%
3. creation of partial freebusy can be optimized using traditional caching
techniques. This last step is orthogonal to the former.
4. The new partial freebusy information can immedially be calculated from the
old freebusy and the new calendar item in a nearly O(1) manner. (latency is
hiffen anyway!)

--> O(1) solution and no worries about 10.000 or 100.000 events.

e r f r a k o n
Sitz: Adolfstraße 23, 70469 Stuttgart, Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart PR 126
http://www.erfrakon.com/