[Kolab-devel] 10.000 events in a Resource Calendar

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Tue May 22 12:55:35 CEST 2012

On 2012-05-22 1:28, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Samstag, 19. Mai 2012, 12:10:29 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen:
>
> Hi,
>
>> For testing purposes, I'm inserting 10.000 events into a resource
>> calendar,
>> all Kolab format version 3 of course. 10.000 is a lot to start with,
>
>> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Since the early days of Kolab this scenario was always in focus when
> trying to create a scalable solution.
>
> Concept:
>
> - Kolab needs to provide freebusy information for general freebusy
> lookup
> anyway in a very fast manner
>
> - Freebusy only changes when new IMAP objects are created in a
> calendar
> (remember that there is no modify)

This assumption is fairly flawed, since removing events from a calendar
does not add new IMAP objects but MUST update free/busy.

> - Kolab creates partial freebusy information whenever a new object is
> written to a calendar folder in IMAP

Euh, as far as I know, it is the client software that triggers an
update of the free/busy, and not the Kolab server itself, and unless the
client is multi-threaded like Kontact it is also a blocking operation.

> - When an invitation e.g. via iTip arives you simply need to check
> for an
> overlap with the freebusy list of the user involved (freebusy is the
> set union of the partial freebusy lists)

See the former, ...

While Free/Busy and the way that it is going to work is in flux, and
while Free/Busy will itself need to do somewhat the same "query" against
raw IMAP, I'm inclined to seek ways the querying itself can be improved.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG