[Kolab-devel] Simple connectors for Android and Outlook

David Schmitt david at dasz.at
Fri Feb 26 16:05:29 CET 2010

Hi,

On 2/25/2010 6:00 PM, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Quoting David Schmitt <david at dasz.at>:
>> Please join us on the respective project pages:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/kolab-outlook/
>> http://code.google.com/p/kolab-android/
>>

>> We appreciate feedback both here and on the issue tracker.
>
> I'm not on windows very often so I probably can't offer much feedback in
> that area. But if you need to know something specific about the Kolab
> format or the interoperability with other clients I'm certain the Kolab
> Konsortium will be eager to help on this list.
>
> What I'd like to know is whether you can already compare your Outlook
> connector with the other available solutions? Do you already know what
> you aim at with your connector?

Our aim was to get a free/open[1], simple[2], safe[3],
multi-platform[4], multi-device[5] synchronisation between our android
phones and our PCs (desktop+laptop). Other options would not fulfill
everything:

   google's cloud/gdata: not 1,3 (5, only via Web)
   ActiveSync: not 1,4
   sync-ml: not 2 (needs server support)
   proprietary Kolab/Outlook connectors: not 1,4

Our implementations only speak IMAP and only support a single source
folder for each of the object types.

Of course, there are no technical reasons barring shared folders,
multiple source folders (e.g. for multiple calendars), or notes and tasks.

 > Will you include tasks and notes later,
 > too?

There don't seem to be a default application for that on the Android,
which is one of the reasons we don't use it and in turn didn't implement
it. If someone could recommend tasks/notes apps for Android (FOSS
preferred, of course) which expose their data, it should be no problem
to support them.

Regards, David
--
dasz.at OG              Tel: +43 (0)664 2602670     Web: http://dasz.at
Klosterneuburg                                         UID: ATU64260999

        FB-Nr.: FN 309285 g          FB-Gericht: LG Korneuburg