[Kolab-devel] [issue4098] Cannot import "archived" mails into local folders

Thomas Ribbrock issues at kolab.org
Mon Feb 8 14:04:01 CET 2010

New submission from Thomas Ribbrock <itsef-admin at brightsight.com>:

Just ran into this with enterprise35 20100204.1084898 (Kubuntu 8.04):

I was experimenting with the new folder archiving function (which is a feature
some of our users are probably eager to use...). I archived two folders from an
online IMAP account:
A) Folder with one subfolder and using tar.bz2 as format, ~9MB
B) Folder with no subfolder, tar.gz format ~750KB

I can re-import (B) (have not tried (A) yet due to time constraints) without
problems into another online IMAP folder. However, if I try to import any of the
two into a folder that is located under "Local Folders", I get a "Fatal Error"
dialogue stating "kontact: WARNING: KMail encountered a fatal error and will
terminate now.
The error was: Message could not be added to the folder, possibly disk space is
low." After clicking OK, Kontact vanishes/shuts down.

I've tried this with both existing and newly created folders in "Local Folders".
For some odd reasons, I am not able to pick the top level "Local Folders" folder
as target - that option is not given in the folder selection dialog that
"Import" brings up.

The Local Folders are located in $HOME/Mail on an NFS4 share - which has some
40GB left, so disk space in local folders itself cannot be the issue. /tmp has
more than 1GB left.

Hm. Very strange. I just ran another test, using archive (B):
 1) Create subfolder "000" in "Local Folders"
 2) "File -> Import Messages -> Import KMail Archive File"
 3) Select "Local Folders/000" as target and B.tar.gz as archive
 4) KMail shuts down with the error message mentioned above
 5) Check $HOME/Mail:
    - .000.directory exists as expected
    - .000.directory contains two directory "B" and ".B.directory", also as
expected.
    - BOTH directories miss the "x" permission - they are mode 600. That's odd,
this should be 700, no?
    - Directory "B" *does* contain the directories "cur", "tmp" and "new", with
correct permisions (700). For the rest, everything is empty.

Very odd...

If there's anything else I can test/provide you with, please let me know.

keyword: enterprise35, kde client
messages: 23415
nosy: itsef_admin
priority: bug
status: unread
title: Cannot import "archived" mails into local folders