[Kolab-devel] thomas: server/kolab-webadmin/kolab-webadmin ChangeLog, 1.88, 1.89

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Wed Mar 5 17:40:28 CET 2008

Op Tuesday 04 March 2008 17:35:26 schreef Thomas Arendsen Hein:
> > I'm surprised by this remark (of course as I'm the committer of the
> > original change ;) ).  To be honest I did not see a change on the web
> > interface in the before and after case (commit).  As such I'm surprised
> > by the remark "It does not look good".  In which browser does it not look
> > good?  Have you tried to make the window smaller, and did you notice the
> > difference between the before and after commit cases.  After (my) commit
> > the page breaks much nicer....
>
> Sorry for not providing a more detailed explanation, I just thought
> it was quite obvious at where to look. I asked a co-worker to look
> and he saw it immediately, too. We both used BonEcho.
>
> The extra spaces are clearly visible in when you have underlined
> links (which I at least have in submenus) and were slightly visible
> in the main menu (the right | was a little farther away from the
> left |).

Ah, I see it now as well.

> So whatever you do to solve this:
> 1. use white space on both sides
> 2. don't put white space at the start or end of a link text.
>
> And it would be good if the menu bar wouldn't get any wider than it
> already is.

This contradicts with what you ietm 1. above.  The space is needed to nicely
break the menu when the browser is made smaller.  This is easy to test, by
making the browser smaller, just try that yourself.
As the links are only shown in the submenu, would it be okay to add the spaces
only to the top menu?

> I've attached a screenshot with the current version at the top and
> your version below to compare.

Thanks, a picture says more than 1000 words :)

--
Richard Bos
We are borrowing the world of our children,