[Kolab-devel] Kolab-2.2-Beta-3, Horde, many entries in Calendar, poor performance

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Jan 7 08:19:32 CET 2008

Hi Martin,

Martin Schneeweis <martin at schneeweis.at> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> In the last days I played around with the Kolab-2.2-Beta-3-Server and
> the Horde web interface. Nothing special, just a One-User-Scenario. I
> imported a large amount of Mails (with Thunderbird). Everything fine
> with Horde.
>
> Today, I imported my calendar data from Outlook (KONSEC Konnektor) -
> something about 3800 entries.
>
> Now it is nearly impossible to use the Calendar in Horde. It takes 1 GB
> of memory and 20 sec. CPU time on the server just to display any
> Calendar page. On the client side: Between 1 and 2 min. until the result
> is displayed.
>
> Somewhere else in the internet I found a discussion about performance
> problems with KMail / Kolab / Calendar. They discussed the possibility
> to cache the calendar entries in some way on the client side.
>
> Is there any idea for Horde too?

I guess what you are referring to is IMAP caching to remove the need
from the client to constantly query the IMAP server for displaying the
calendar. This was especially severe for Horde since it needed to
fetch the full list of IMAP messages with calendar entries from the
server for each page view.

One of the main improvements during the last year has been adding IMAP
caching to the horde client. So these extremely long load times should
not exist anymore.

On the other hand the code has not seen too much real world testing so
that there might still be bugs that prevent the cache from working
correctly in your case.

Can you open a bug report in the issue tracker for it?

I'd need some additional details e.g. if you see the cached calendar
data in one of /kolab/var/kolab/tmp/kolabcache_*. There are probably
several such files but one should contain the serialized data of your
calendar.

> ---
>
> I am running the Kolab-2.2-Beta-3-Server in a XEN-VM (Debian Etch,
> Kernel: 2.6.18-5-xen-686) with 1 GB memory (first I started with 256 MB,
> worked fine until I imported the calendar data).
> Hardware of the host: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2400 MHz), 1.5 GB RAM.
>
> ---
>
> I am a freelancer (software developer), 38 years old.
> Is there somewhere a little explanation of "how to start" or "how to get
> involved"? I found nothing except some little documents in the CVS...

http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab2_Beta_testing

gives an overview on how you can start building the server from
CVS. That should allow you to play with the code and produce patches
against CVS. Patches should usually be submitted via the bug
tracker. In case you plan larger changes you should probably discuss
these on this mailing list first to get some feedback before
implementing it.

I started the same way when I got involved with Kolab ;)

Cheers,

Gunnar