[Kolab-devel] Kolab-2.2-Beta-3, Horde, many entries in Calendar, poor performance

Martin Schneeweis martin at schneeweis.at
Sun Jan 13 11:58:28 CET 2008

Am 07.01.2008 08:19, Gunnar Wrobel schrieb:
> Hi Martin,
> Martin Schneeweis <martin at schneeweis.at> writes:
>> Hi All,
>> In the last days I played around with the Kolab-2.2-Beta-3-Server and 
>> the Horde web interface. Nothing special, just a One-User-Scenario. I 
>> imported a large amount of Mails (with Thunderbird). Everything fine 
>> with Horde.
>> Today, I imported my calendar data from Outlook (KONSEC Konnektor) - 
>> something about 3800 entries.
>> Now it is nearly impossible to use the Calendar in Horde. It takes 1 GB 
>> of memory and 20 sec. CPU time on the server just to display any 
>> Calendar page. On the client side: Between 1 and 2 min. until the result 
>> is displayed.
>> Somewhere else in the internet I found a discussion about performance 
>> problems with KMail / Kolab / Calendar. They discussed the possibility 
>> to cache the calendar entries in some way on the client side.
>> Is there any idea for Horde too?
> I guess what you are referring to is IMAP caching to remove the need
> from the client to constantly query the IMAP server for displaying the
> calendar. This was especially severe for Horde since it needed to
> fetch the full list of IMAP messages with calendar entries from the
> server for each page view.
> One of the main improvements during the last year has been adding IMAP
> caching to the horde client. So these extremely long load times should
> not exist anymore.
> On the other hand the code has not seen too much real world testing so
> that there might still be bugs that prevent the cache from working
> correctly in your case.
> Can you open a bug report in the issue tracker for it?

Yes - I will do that now.

> I'd need some additional details e.g. if you see the cached calendar
> data in one of /kolab/var/kolab/tmp/kolabcache_*. There are probably
> several such files but one should contain the serialized data of your
> calendar.

The content of the directory "/kolab/var/kolab/tmp":

4 drwxr-xr-x 2 19416 19416 4096 2007-12-06 17:38 fbview
4 drwxr-xr-x 2 19416 19416 4096 2007-12-06 17:36 horde

Both of this subdirectories are empty.

I started a search with
	find . -name kolabcache*
in the root ("/") directory.
No results...

>> I am running the Kolab-2.2-Beta-3-Server in a XEN-VM (Debian Etch, 
>> Kernel: 2.6.18-5-xen-686) with 1 GB memory (first I started with 256 MB, 
>> worked fine until I imported the calendar data).
>> Hardware of the host: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2400 MHz), 1.5 GB RAM.

Just to make sure that the behaviour is NOT XEN-specific, I repeated the 
installation and import of the calendar entries on a "normal" Debian 
Etch System (Kernel: 2.6.18-5-686) with the same result...


More information about the devel mailing list