[Kolab-devel] Other kolab scalability issues

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 15:53:55 CEST 2007

On 10/23/07, Fabio Pietrosanti <lists at infosecurity.ch> wrote:
> Alain Spineux wrote:
> > First we need to know what we are speaking about !
> >
> > I tested kolab-2.2beta1.
> >
> > postfix support at least 100000 domains with the format
> > extralargedomainXXXXX.loc.
> > the main.cf was more than 5Mo large !
> > imap failed at 68 domains, with line of about 4096 chars.
> >

> Please let me underline that in my kolab installation removing the
> "loginrealm:" configuration parameter from imapd.conf all continued
> working perfectly.

Yes I know and I dont remeber kolab-2.0 using loginrealm !
But I'm more worried about admins !
If the system host thousand of domains, I suppose we have at least one
domain admin per domain !

> I am wondering, do we really require this configuration line? Why just
> don't remove it away?

I dont know, will ask cyrus list too.

> > Kolab components don't need to be fully dynamic (using lookup at every
> > request), kolabd daemon is here to detect changes, and restart other
> > daemons when needed.
> >
> > Postfix dont need any changes now and also support other solution,
> > like table lookup, with table in flat file or compiled (berkley db
> > style).
> >
> mmmm imho it should be dynamic, because that way the full design of the
> system it's more simple.

mmmm too :-)
By more simple, you mean you move some complexity from kolabd to kolab
components !
I'm more interested by performances then where is the complexity.
I'have no advice on this.

> Consider that postfix -> proxymap - (only 1 open connection to ldap)->
> OpenLDAP (that have it's own cache)
>
> With this approach the communication between postfix and openldap cache
> in memory it's almost an IPC request over TCP because there's no
> overhead in the authentication between postfix and OpenLDAP.
>
> Still, if it's preferred to have the domains in a separate file (flat or
> bdb) the result it's the same but there's one file more around the
> system to be checked during troubleshooting .

postfix, dont lokk to suffer any limitation today. Right ? Did I
missed something ?
Do you have more motivation than having a solution with a nice design ?

I too, I like nice thing :-)

> Fabio

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com